Bong Joon-ho (born 14 September 1969) is a famous filmmaker, actor, director, producer, and screenwriter from Daegu city in South Korea. He mostly made the movies full of black humor, genre-mixing, mood shifts, Thriller, and emotional.
He is famous in the South Korean film industry as Bong Tae-il (which means “detail”). He gave so many super-duper hits movies like Memories of Murder, The Host, Snowpiercer, etc to the Korean movie industry.
The popular filmmaker is well-known in the public for his work on the 2019’s best thriller movie “Parasite”. Bong Joon-ho was honored with so many national awards for this movie.
The movie won the British Academy Film Awards for Best Film Not in the English Language. In an interview, he said that “I made so many movies but the Parasite is the best movie ever”.
Early Life, Parents, Siblings & Education
Bong Joon-ho took birth from his parents on Sunday, September 14, 1969 (age 50 years old, as in 2019) in Daegu, South Korea. He belongs to the Catholic ethnicity. He is the youngest child in the family.
His father “Bong Sang Gyun” was a professor at Seoul National University of Science and Technology and also worked as a graphic designer. His mother “Park So-young” used to take care of the house.
Bong has one older brother named “Bong Joon-soo”. His brother also works as a professor at Seoul National University. His sister “Bong Ji-Hee” works as a fashion designer professor. He has a creative mind from childhood.
He used to direct plays for school functions. He did his schooling from Jamsil High School, Songpa-gu, and Seoul.
After that, he enrolled his name at Yonsei University for completing his graduation in the field of BA. Bong Joon-ho wanted to become a good filmmaker that,s why he took admission to the Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA) in Busan.
He completed his 2-year directing course for this university. After completing his course he started working as an assistant director.
Physical Stats, Height, Weight & More
A famous director is a genuine person. He is a very simple looking person and lives a very normal life. Bong Joon-ho’s tall height of 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) and his weight is around 75 kilograms (in 165 lbs).
Because of his weak eyesight, he always wears glasses. Bong has curly black hair and big black eyes. He likes to live a simple lifestyle. He mostly stays in simple clothes on the film’s set. Previously he keeps mustache but now he is clean shaved.
Personal Life, Spouse & Girlfriend
The 50-year-old man holds a decent personality. When Bong made short movies, he met his future wife on the film set. He got married to his wife “Jung Sun-young” in the year 1995.
Jung is also a screenwriter. He is the father of his only son named “Bong Hyo-min”. He lives a happy life with his family.
Apart from directing, Bong Joon-ho is also a member of the political party named “New Progressive Party”. He also supports the Democratic Labor Party. Because of his busy work schedule, he is quite active on social media.
Some Hidden Facts about Bong Joon-ho
|Real Full Birth Name||Bong Joon-ho.|
|Profession||Director and Filmmaker.|
|Famous as||For the movie "Parasite".|
|Age (As of 2019)||50 years old.|
|Date of Birth||14 September 1969.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Daegu, South Korea.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Zodiac Birth Sign||Virgo.|
|House Location||Daegu, South Korea.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6'.
Centimeters: 183 cm.
Meters: 1.83 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 75 Kg.
Pounds: 165 lbs.
|Shoe Size (UK)||10.|
|Parents||Father: Bong Sang Gyun.
Mother: Park So-young.
|Siblings||Brother: Bong Joon-soo.
Sister: Bong Ji-Hee.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Kids||Son: Bong Hyo-min.|
|Social media||Instagram: @bongjoonhoofficial (7.83 k + followers).|
|Highest Qualification||College Degree Completed.|
|School||Jamsil High School, Songpa-gu, Seoul.|
|Alma Mater||1. Yonsei University.
2. Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA), Busan.
|Career & Wealth|
|Filmography||1. Motel Cactus (1997).
2. Phantom: The Submarine (1999).
3. Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000).
4. Memories of Murder (2003).
5. Antarctic Journal (2005).
6. The Host (2006).
7. Mother (2009).
8. Snowpiercer (2013).
9. Sea Fog (2014).
10. Okja (2017).
11. Parasite (2019).
12. Baeksaekin (White Man) (1994).
13. Incoherence (1994).
14. The Memories in My Frame (1994).
15. Twentidentity (2003).
16. Digital Short Films by Three Directors (2004).
17. Tokyo! (2008).
18. 3.11 A Sense of Home (2011).
19. Incoherence (1994).
20. No Blood No Tears (2002).
21. Crush and Blush (2008).
22. Doomsday Book (2012).
23. Two or Three Things I Know about Kim Ki-young (2006).
24. Kurosawa's Way (2011).
25. Ari Ari the Korean Cinema (2012).
|Awards||1. Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay for the movie Parasite in 2020.
2. British Academy Film Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Film Not in the English Language for the movie Parasite in 2020.
3. Asian Film Awards for Best Film "The Host" in 2007.
4. Asia Pacific Screen Awards for the Best Feature Film "Parasite" in 2019.
5. Blue Dragon Film Awards for Audience Choice Award for the movie Memories of Murder in 2003.
|Net worth (approx.)||$30 million US dollars (as in 2020).|
Movies, Career & Net worth
Joon-ho started his filmmaking career from his college days. He used to make a group of his college friends and started making short films. Bong Joon-ho directs various short films like Incoherence, Baeksaekin (White Man), The Memories in My Frame, etc.
In his first short movie “Incoherence” he played the role of a delivery boy. After that, he decided to start his work at a high level.
After working as an assistant director for one and a half years, he worked as a screenwriter in his first featured movie named “Motel Cactus” ion the year 1997.
After that, he writes so many movies. In the year 2000, he directs and writes the movie named “Barking Dogs Never Bite”.
Then he gave so many hits movies to the Korean entertainment industry like Memories of Murder, The Host, Snowpiercer, etc.
In the year 2019, he made a thriller movie named “Parasite”. This movie became a worldwide hit and won the Oscar award. Bong Joon-ho earned the Net worth of $30 million (as in 2020) from his career.
- In the year 2020, he produces his first television show named “Snowpiercer.
- He got influenced to become a writer from his maternal grandfather “Park Taewon”.
- He was arrested during South Korean Democracy for using Molotov cocktails contain Paint thinner and water.
- Bong Joon-ho also a good cartoonist and made a storyboarding sketch.
- He got inspiration from Edward Yang, John Frankenheimer, and Martin Scorcese.
- His favorite film is The Wages of Fear.
- Bong loves to watch blu-rays movies.
- His first short film also played in Hong Kong international film festival.