Girish Karnad (born May 19, 1938) is an Indian Actor, Kannada Writer, Playwright, and Director from Matheran, India. He associated with the Bollywood and South Indian Cinema. Furthermore, Girish rose as the playwright in 1960.
He created plays in Kannada language and used history and mythology issues. Furthermore, his full real birth name “Girish Raghunath Karnad“.
Actually, Karnad acclaimed for translating the plays into language. His Kannada plays are “Yayati”, “Agni Mattu Male”, “Tipu Sultan Kanda Kanasu” and “Flowers”. As an actor, he did films such as “Sankar Dada MBBS”, “Dor”, “Iqbal”, “Tiger Zinda Hai” Shivaay”, “24” and “Sweety Nanna Jodi”.
However, the great playwright died on June 10, 2019, due to illness. Girish was in Bengaluru, Karnataka at the time of his death. Yesterday, Mr. Karnard faced difficulty in breathing and then admitted to the hospital.
HD Kumaraswamy (Chief Minister, Karnataka), Amitav Ghosh and Ramanth Kovind (President, India) paid tribute on his death. They remembered his contribution to the Indian film industry.
Early Life, Parents & Parents
Girish Karnad was born on the 19th of May 1938 (age of 81 years old) in Matheran, Maharashtra (India). He is the third child of Krishnabai Karnad (mother) and Dr. Raghunath Karnad (father).
Furthermore, his mom met his dad when she went to the medical training at Bombay Medical Services. However, they could not marry initially due to the widow remarriage issue. Soon, the Arya Samaj granted them permission to marry. Girish did his primary education in the Marathi medium.
Then, he lived in Sirsi and Dharwad City, Karnataka. Meanwhile, he studied in the Karnataka Arts College and earned a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Statistics. He traveled many places across the different theater groups. Girish went to England for his higher studies at Oxford University.
Furthermore, he acquired his degree in Politics Philosophy and Economics. He honored as the Rhodes Scholar by the University. Later on, Girish received his Master Degree in Economics, Politics, and Philosophy.
Wedding, Spouse & Children
He met his wife Saraswathy Ganapathy in the Oxford University Press. Additionally, the couple had two children. Raghu Karnard is one of them. In fact, the couple lived in Bengaluru with his spouse and children.
Quick Info & Trivia
|Full Real Birth Name||Girish Raghunath Karnad.|
|Profession||Actor, Kannada Writer, Playwright and Director|
|In The News For||Died on June 10, 2019 due to illness in Bengaluru, India.|
|Age (As of 2019)||81 years old|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||May 19, 1938.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Matheran, Maharashtra (India).|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Social Media Stats||Instagram: --
|Awards||1. Sangeet Natak Akademi (1972).
2. Padma Shri (1974).
3. Padma Bhushan (1992).
4. Kalidas Samman (1998).
5. National Award for the Best Kannada Film "Kaanuru Heggadathi" (1999).
6. Honorary Degree by the University of California, Los Angeles (2011).
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Taurus.|
|Death Date||June 10, 2019.|
|Place||Bengaluru, Karnataka (India).|
|Current Residence||Bengaluru, Karnataka (India).|
|Kannada Plays||1. Maa Nishaadha.
2. Yayati (1961).
3. Hayavadana (1972).
4. Nagamandala (1988).
5. Agni mattu Male (1995).
6. Maduve Album (2006).
7. Flowers (2012).
|Movies||1. Samskara (1970).
2. Manthan (1976).
3. Ratnadeep (1979).
4. Apne Paraye (1980).
5. Ek Baar Chale Aao (1983).
6. Kaadina Benki (1988).
7. Antarnaad (1991).
8. Kanooru Heggadithi (1999).
9. Iqbal (2005).
10. Tiger Zinda Hai (2017).
|Other Duities||1. Chairman, Film and Television Insitute of India (1974).
2. Visiting Faculty, University of Chicago.
3. Sangeet Natak Akademi (Chairman).
4. Minister of Culture, Indian High Commission in London, 2000.
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5' 8".
Centimeters: 173 cm.
Meters: 1.73 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 70 Kg.
Pounds: 154 lbs.
|Biceps Size||10 inches.|
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-hips)||40-30-34.|
|Shoe Size (US)||9.|
|Tattoos details?||Will Update.|
|Parents||Father: Dr. Raghunath Karnad.
Mother: Krishnabai Karnad.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||Not Known.|
|Wife/Spouse Name||Saraswathy Ganapathy.|
|Children||Son: Raghu Karnad.
Daughter: Not Known.
|Highest Qualification||1. Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics & Statistics from Karnataka Arts College, Karnataka University.
2. Bachelor & Master Degree in Philosophy, Economics & Politics from Oxford University.
|Alma Mater||1. Karnataka Arts College, Karnataka University.
2. Oxford University.
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celeb||Actor: Dilip Kumar.
Actress: Saria Bano.
|Dream Holiday Destination||London.|
|Love to do||Traveling & Writing plays.|
|Favorite Dishes||South Indian Food (Dosa/Idli).|
|Net worth (Approx.)||Rs. 80 Crore Indian Rupees.|
|Salary, Earnings & Monthly Income||Under review.|
|Home Details||House in Bengaluru.|
|Email Address||Will Update.|
|Mobile or Phone Number||NA.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Girish Karnad
- As per Wikipedia, Girish elected as the President of the Oxford Union.
- He was the employee of the Oxford University Press, Chennai.
- Furthermore, Karnad visited the University of Chicago as the playwright and faculty.
- In fact, he made the Director of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII, 1974-75).
- Girish took the Chairman position at the Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- Moreover, he appointed as the Minister of Culture, Indian High Commission (London, 2000).
- He gave his voice to the APJ Abdul Kalam (Former President, India) audio biography “The Wings of Fire”.
- Additionally, he honored with several awards such as Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1972), Padma Shri (1974), Padma Bhushan (1992), Sahitya Akademi Award (1994) and Jnanpith Award (1998).
- Money Factor: As per wealth details, Girish Karnad’s Net worth is valued at Rs. 80 Crores Indian Rupees.
Explore More: The Story of Maharana Pratap, Biography, Lifestyle & Affairs
- His contribution to the film industry gave him National Awards and Filmfare Awards.
- However, he had a wordy conflict with V.S. Naipaul during the Tata Art Festival, Mumbai.
- He criticized the organizers that honored Naipaul.
- Somehow, he condemned the demolition of the Babri Masjid (1992).
- On the other hand, he strongly criticized the Hindutva.
- Girish opposed the secularism approach of BJP and RSS.
- Still, he strongly against Narendra Modi nominated for 2014s Prime Minister Elections.
- The 81-year-old said that Rabindra Nath Tagore was the second playwright and his plays were unbearable.
- Karnad received an honorary Doctorate degree at University of California, Los Angeles.