Manute Bol (born October 16, 1962 – died June 19, 2010) was a Sudanese born American Former Basketball Player and Political Activist from Turalei. He was famous for being one of the two tallest players in the history of the National Basketball Association.
Furthermore, the 47-year-old late player started his career with Cleveland State University in 1982 under Coach Kevin Mackey. But, due to some complications, he never played for the team.
Moreover, Bol was drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers in the fifth round of the 1983 NBA draft. Again, the NBA declared the pick invalid and Manute had not been eligible for the draft.
In May 1985, the late player signed with the Rhode Island Gulls of the spring the United States Basketball League. The same year, he also performed for the Washington Bullets. From 1985 to 1986, he appeared in 80 games for the Bullets.
In addition, On June 8, 1988, Bol later traded by the Bullets to the Golden State Warriors for Dave Feitl. The basketball player also played for teams like Philadelphia 76ers I (1990-1993), Miami Heat (1993), Washington Bullets II (1993), etc in his professional career.
Early Life, Profile & Parents
The former basketball player, Manute Bol was born on the 16th of October 1962 in Turalei, Sudan. Therefore, at the time of his death, his real age is 47 years old, as of 2010. His parents were Okwok Bol (father) and Madute Bol (mother).
Furthermore, his dad was a Dinka tribal elder and was 6 feet 8 inches tall. He also has a sibling, a sister (name not available). During an interview, Bol told that his mom was also a very tall woman and her height was 6 feet 10 inches (2.08 m).
His ethnicity i.e. Dinka and the Nilotic are among the taller populations of the world. In 1972, Manute used to play soccer and later quit the game as he was too tall for it. Then, he began playing basketball for the teams like Wau and Khartoum and played for several years.
As of profession, his first job was with Sudanese military and performed on the Sudanese National basketball team. Bol graduated from The University of Bridgeport and received his bachelors’ degree.
Personal Life, Spouse & Children
The 47-year-old late basketball player married twice in his life. He married his first wife (name not available) many years ago. Their wedding ceremony was a private affair. Furthermore, the couple also had six kids together including sons Madut Bol & Chris Bol, and daughters Abuk Bol & Ayak Bol.
Unfortunately, there is no much information available about his family. Later, Bol divorced his first spouse and tied the knot with “Ajok Deng” in a lavish event. They also shared four children including a son named Bol Bol.
His child, Madut, played college basketball at Southern University. Moreover, Bol Bol is also a Basketball player who recently signed with Denver Nuggets. In July 2004, Manute had a car accident in Colchester and was seriously injured.
On June 19, 2010, he passed away at the age of 47. According to Wikipedia, Bol died from acute kidney failure and complications from Stevens-Johnson syndrome at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Full Birth Name||Manute Bol.|
|Profession||Former Basketball Player and Political Activist.|
|Age (As of 2010)||47 years old|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||October 16, 1962.|
|Date of Death||June 19, 2010.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Turalei, Sudan (raised in Gogrial, Sudan).|
|Famous For||being one of the two tallest players in the history of the National Basketball Association.|
|Awards/Honours||1. Inducted into the University of Bridgeport Athletics Hall of Fame, Class of 2010.
2. Inducted into the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame in 2016.
3. won NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1986).
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Libra.|
|House In||Charlottesville, Virginia, USA.|
|Buried In||South Sudan.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 7' 7".
Centimeters: 231 cm.
Meters: 2.31 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 91 Kg.
Pounds: 200 lbs.
|Biceps Size||14 inches.|
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-hips)||40-30-35.|
|Shoe Size (US)||14.|
|Tattoos details?||Will Update.|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown.|
|Parents||Father: Okwok Bol.
Mother: Madute Bol.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||name not available.|
|Girlfriend & Fiancee||None.|
|Wife/Spouse Name||Ajok Deng.|
|Children||Sons: 1. Bol Bol.
2. Madut Bol.
3. Chris Bol.
Daughters: 1. Abuk Bol.
2. Ayak Bol.
He also had 5 more children.
|Alma Mater||The University of Bridgeport.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Will Smith.
Actress: Angelina Jolie.
|Dream Holiday Destination||Switzerland.|
|Love to do||Reading and Watching TV.|
|Favorite Dishes||Pan Cake, Fries, Chicken & Cheese Burger.|
|Net worth (Approx.)||$7 Million US Dollars (As of 2019).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings per month||Will update.|
|Office Address||Will Update.|
|Home Details||Not Known|
|Mobile or Phone Number||Will Update.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Manute Bol
- During his initial days in the USA, Bol had no formal record of his birth date.
- He also did not know his date of birth. Hence, his coach Mackey listed it as of October 16, 1962, on Cleveland State documents.
- However, Mackey assumed Bol was really much older.
- Furthermore, the former player spoke Dinka and Arabic fluently. But he didn’t know English at all when he had drafted to the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Later, Manute improved his English skills at ELS Language Centers on the Case Western Reserve University campus.
- This was also one of the reasons that the NBA declared his pick as invalid.
- Physique Details: Manute Bol’s height stands at 7 feet 7 inches tall (231 in cm). He also possessed a very thin physique with a body weight of 91 kilograms (200 pounds).
- In fact, his height was also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Explore More: The Biography of Romi Rain, Lifestyle, Story & Affairs
- Bol’s arm span was at 8 feet 6 inches (2.59 meters) and it was the longest in NBA history.
- The 47-year-old basketball player also lived in Egypt and ran a basketball school in Cairo.
- Money Factor: The calculated Net worth of Manute Bol was $7 million US Dollars, as of 2010.
- But he donated much of his wealth to Sudan.
- As a political activist, Bol received various honors for his efforts to promote human rights in Sudan and aid for Sudanese refugees.