Gita Gopinath (born December 8, 1971) is an Indian-American Professor at Harvard University from Mysore, Karnataka, India. Now, she is appointed as the Chief Economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF). In fact, Gita will take the place of Maurice Obstfeld. Furthermore, Maurice will retire from the post of Economic Counselor and Director of the IMF Research Department.
She focuses on Macroeconomics and International Finance. On the other hand, the announcement to appoint Ms. Gopinath made on Monday (October 1) by Christine Lagarde (MD, IMF). Christine listed Gita among the top economists of the world. She has extraordinary academic credentials.
In addition to this, she holds good experience in International Economics. She is from Mysore like Raghuram Rajan (Ex-Governor, RBI) and Kaushik Basu. In fact, Rajan and Basu served as the Chief Economist of IMF and World Bank.
Childhood, Parents, Siblings & Education
How old is the Chief Economist of IMF? She took birth on the 8th of December 1971 in the Mysore City of Karnataka, India. This makes Gita Gopinath’s age around 47 years old, as of 2019. Furthermore, she is the daughter of T.V. Gopinath (father) and V.C. Vijayalakshmi (mother).
On the other hand, Ms. Gita belongs to a political family. Her grandparents are TV Govindan Nambiar and PV Lakshmi Amma belongs to the Indian Communist Party. Apart from that, she holds a BA from Lady Shri Ram College of Woman, University of Delhi (1992).
Then, Gopinath took admission in MA (Economics) in Delhi School of Economics (DSE), DU, 1994. Soon, she traveled to the USA to study MA from the University of Washington (1996). After that, she earned a Ph.D. (2001) from Princeton University.
Personal Life, Husband Iqbal Dhaliwal & Children
As per her personal life, Gita has married her husband Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal. Mr. Dhaliwal works at Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab as an Executive Director.
Additionally, his department has associated with the Department of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Now, Iqubal and Gita blessed with a boy child.
Some Lesser Known Facts about Gita Gopinath
|Personal Life Information|
|Full Birth Name||Gita Gopinath.|
|Working As||1. Professor at Harvard University.
2. Chief Economist at IMF.
|Age||Forty-Six (46) years old (As of 2018).|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||December 8, 1971.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Mysore, Karnataka, India.|
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Sagitatus.|
|Current Residence||Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.|
|Famous for||Appointed as the Chief Economist of International Monetary Fund (IMF).|
|Height||Feet & Inches: 5' 6".
Centimeters: 167 cm.
Meters: 1.67 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 56 Kg.
Pounds: 123 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Breast-waist-hips)||34-28-35.|
|Shoe Size (US)||6.|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Parents||Father: TV Gopinath.
Mother: VC Vijayalakshmi.
|Siblings||Brother: Not Known.
|Famous Relatives||TV Govindan Nambiar (grandfather) and PV Lakshmi Amma (grandmother).|
|Gita Gopinath Husband & Relationship|
|Dating History?||Not Known.|
|Boyfriend||Name not Available.|
|Husband/Spouse Name||Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal.|
|Son||Will Update Soon.|
|Highest Qualification||1. BA from Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi (1992).
2. MA (Economics) Delhi of Economics (DSE), University of Delhi (1994).
3. MA from University of Washington (1996).
4. PhD from Princeton University (2001).
|College/ University||1. Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi.
2. Delhi School Economics (DSE), University of Delhi.
3. University of Washington.
4. Princeton University.
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Shahrukh Khan.
Actress: Deepika Padukone.
|Dream Holiday Destination||London.|
|Love to do||Shopping, and Traveling.|
|Favorite Food||Italian Food.|
|Gita Gopinath Net worth|
|Net Asset||Approx. $800,000 USD (As of 2018).|
|Office Address||Not Known|
|Home Details||Not Known|
|Mobile or Phone Number||N.A.|
|Email Address||Will update soon.|
|Official Website||Not Available.
- Gita started working as a Professor in Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies, Economics at Harvard University.
- Furthermore, she is the co-editor at the American Economic Review.
- Actually, Gopinath is a visiting scholar at Federal Reserve Bank, Boston.
- The American Academy of Arts and Sciences elected her as a fellow in 2018.
- She also served as the Managing Director (MD) at the Review of Economic Studies.
- Additionally, Iqbal’s wife is the Economic Adviser to the CM of Kerala.
- As of 2018, her estimated Net worth is around $800,000 US dollars.
- Gita Gopinath stands at 5 ft 6 in tall in height and has a lean body with a weight of 56 Kilograms.
- She is the Co-Director of the International Finance and Economics program by the National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Recently, the 46-year-old placed #25 in the top 45 economists by IMF.
- Meanwhile, she was also honored by World Economic Forum as a Young Leader of 2011.
- The University of Washington awarded her Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2017.
- Presently, she is serving as the Chief Economist in the International Monetary Fund (IMF).