Israel Kamakawiwoʻole (born 20 May 1959) was a popular American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and sovereignty activist. He was best known for playing the Tenor ukulele instrument and his best Hawaiian songs.
He belonged to the music background. He started his professional career in the music by creating a music group called “The Mākaha Sons of Niʻihau”. These group members were famously known as the legends of Hawaiian music.
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole and his group members launched many popular albums like No Kristo, Kahea O Keale, Puana Hou Me Ke Aloha, Kuikawa, etc.
Apart from this, he also launched his many solo music albums such as Ka ʻAnoʻi, Facing Future, and others. He also performed in many live shows. He also won Annual Nā Hōkū Hanohano awards for his best voice.
Early Life, Parents & Brothers
The legend took birth from his parents on Wednesday, May 20, 1959, in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. He belonged to the Christian religion. He was born into a musical family background.
His father “Henry Kaleialoha Naniwa Kamakawiwoʻole, Jr.” and his mother “Evangeline Leinani Kamakawiwoʻole” were also singers.
He had a brother in the family named “Skippy Kamakawiwoʻole”, who was also a musician and a member of The Mākaha Sons of Niʻihau music group. He got influenced to become a singer from his uncle named “Moe Keale”.
His uncle was a popular Hawaiian musician. Israel spent his childhood in Kaimuki along with his siblings. When he was 11 years old, he started playing music and Tenor ukulele along with her brother Skippy.
After some time, both of them make a music band with their cousin brother “Allen Thornton”. He completed his education from the University of Hawaii at Hilo.
After completing his higher education, he moved to Mākaha along with his family. He started practicing music with his brother and cousin. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole was 38 years old at the time of his death.
Physical Stats, Height, Weight & More
The Hawaiian musician and singer had some health problems since childhood. Due to health problems, his weight increased very fast. According to sources, when he was 15 years old, his weight was around 115 kg.
He made several sacrifices to keep his body fit. Due to his heart and other respiratory problems, he could not even exercise. His weight had become a problem for him. After a lot of effort, when there was no difference, he stopped taking care of his body and started to focus on music.
The height of Israel Kamakawiwoʻole was 6 feet 2 inches (in meters 1.88 m). Due to his tall height and heavyweight, he looked like a sumo wrestler.
He always kept long hair. He loved to wear stylish hats. When he was 37 years old, his body weight was around 343 kilograms (in pounds 757 lbs). He liked to wear printed shirts and trousers. He inked some tattoos on his hands.
Personal Life, Wife & Daughter
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole lived in Honolulu, Hawaii along with his wife and kids. He got married to his wife named “Marlene Kamakawiwoʻole“. After two years of marriage, he becomes the father of a beautiful daughter named “Ceslie-Ann Kamakawiwo’ole”.
His daughter is also a singer. Moreover, he liked to spend his time finding different lyrics for his sound records. There is no information is available about his previous relationships. Israel always used to give tips of good music to his daughter.
|Real Full Birth Name||Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole.|
|Profession||Singer, Songwriter, Musician, and Record Producer.|
|Famous for||The Makaha Sons of Niʻihau.|
|Age at the time of death||38 years old.|
|Cause of Death||Respiratory, Heart, and Other Medical Problems.
|Date of Birth||20 May 1959.|
|Date of Death||June 26, 1997.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States.|
|Place of Death||Queen's Medical Center, Honolulu.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Zodiac Birth Sign||Taurus.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6' 2".
Centimeters: 188 cm.
Meters: 1.88 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 343 Kg.
Pounds: 757 lbs.
|Shoe Size (UK)||14.|
|Parents||Father: Henry Kaleialoha Naniwa Kamakawiwoʻole, Jr.
Mother: Evangeline Leinani Kamakawiwoʻole.
|Siblings||Brother: Skippy Kamakawiwoʻole.|
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Kids||Daughter: Ceslie-Ann Kamakawiwo'ole.|
|Social media||Instagram: @officializhawaii (105K + followers).
|Alma Mater||The University of Hawaii at Hilo.|
|Albums||1. Ka ʻAnoʻi (1990).
2. Facing Future (1993).
3. E Ala E (1995).
4. N Dis Life (1996).
|Last Updated||On 23 May 2020 (© Dreshare.com).
Some Lesser Known Facts About Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
- He moved to Mākaha after completing his higher education.
- After reaching Mākaha, he met with some musician named Jerome Koko, Louis Kauakahi, and Sam Gray.
- He liked their singing skills and decided to make a music group with them.
- Later, in the year 1975, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole made a Hawaiian music group along with his brother Skippy, his cousin Allen Thornton, and his music friends.
- They named the group “The Makaha Sons of Niʻihau”.
- After that, they started releasing albums and songs.
- In the year 1976, their group launched his first album named “No Kristo”.
- Later, they released so many albums and songs like Hoʻoluana, Makaha Sons of Niʻihau, Mahalo Ke Akua, Keala, etc.
- In the year 1990, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole debuts with his first solo album titled “Ka ʻAnoʻi”.
- Later, he released back to back hit studio albums like Facing Future, E Ala E, and N Dis Life.
- All the songs of his albums ranked on the US Billboard chart.
- Apart from singing, Israel also worked as a Hawaiian sovereignty activist.
- On June 26, 1997, the legendary artist died at the age of 38 because of his heart and other health problems.
- Many popular celebrities and singers mourned at his death.
- His name has also appeared on the 50 great voices series in The Voice of Hawaii on 6 December 2010.
- His cover album music “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” has also featured in Pixar short movie named “Lava”.
- On 20 May 2020, Google celebrated his 61st birthday by posting an animated Doodle.
- In his music career, he won so many medals and awards.
- His real birth name is Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole.
- Israel Kamakawiwoʻole was a good Tenor ukulele player.
- His brother “Skippy Kamakawiwoʻole” died on 1 October 1982, due to heart attack.