Kapil Dev (born 6 January 1958) is a famous Indian former cricketer, sportsman, and entrepreneur from Chandigarh, India. He was also the captain of the Indian cricket team from 1983 to 1994. He rose to fame after winning the 1983’s World Cup.
In his cricket career, he took the highest numbers of wickets of the opponents and make a record. Kapil played more than 130 Test Match and 225 One Day Match for Indian Cricket Team. Dev was also included in the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame on 11 March 2010.
It is very happy news for the fans of Kapil that Kapil Dev’s biopic film is going to be released on April 10, 2020. In this film, Kapil’s life from the beginning until now will be told about Struggle.
In this film, the character of Kapil will be played by famous actor Ranveer Singh. With this, Ranveer Singh’s wife Deepika Padukone will be seen playing the role of Dev’s wife. Both Deepika and Ranveer spent a lot of time with Kapil and his wife so that he would understand their character well.
Early Life, Childhood, Parents, Siblings & Education
The legend of Cricket took birth from his parents on Tuesday, January 6, 1959, in Chandigarh, Punjab, India. In February 2020, Kapil Dev’s age is 61 years old. He is a kshatriya.
His father “Ram Lal Nikhanj” had a business of timber and his mom “Raj Kumari Lajwanti” was a homemaker. His parents were lived some years before his birth in Fazilka after partition. In the year 1958, Dev’s parents moved to Chandigarh. He spent his childhood in Chandigarh.
There are 7 siblings in his family including him. He is in the middle of his brothers. Kapil’s younger brother “Ramesh” is living in Chandigarh and his elder bro “Bhushan” is a businessman. Dev has four sisters “Pinky Gill” and 3 others (name not known).
He took admission to the DAV Senior Secondary School in Chandigarh for his education. He is interested in sports from childhood that’s why he completed only his secondary class and joined the Desh Prem Azad’s cricket academy to achieve high success in the sports field.
Physical Stats, Height, Weight & More
Kapil is an active and fit person. He has the same agility in his body even at the age of 61. He follows a well-maintained diet plan to keep his body fit and healthy. Like other sportsmen, Kapil Dev is a tall Cricketer with a height of 6 feet 0 inch (in meters 1.83 m). He is a genuine person and always wears business suits.
Dev does a regular morning walk and yoga to keep his body healthy. His bodyweight is measured around 80 kilograms (in pounds 176 lbs). He has short salt & pepper hair. He looks handsome with his dark brown eyes. He doesn’t like tattoos.
Lifestyle, Wealth & Assets
If we talk about his lifestyle, he lives a lavish life with his family. Kapil has the owner of a bungalow situated in Sundar Nagar, Delhi, India. Apart from this, he runs his two restaurants in Chandigarh and Bihar named “Kapil Dev’s Elevens”.
Like every businessman, Kapil has invested in shares. He holds 5% shares of Zicom Electronics. He is also a partner in a partnership firm named Musco Lighting Pvt Ltd. Dev is fond of cars. He is the owner of four different luxury cars which are:-
- Porsche Panamera Sedan (Four-Door).
- Marcedes GLS 350d (HR 26 DB 1983).
- C-Class Mercedes (HR 26 DA 1983).
- Toyota Fortuner (DL 8 CAF 1983).
Personal Life, Spouse Romi Bhatia & Children
The 61-year-old man lives a happy married life with his family. Before his marriage, in the year 1978, he has an affair with a Bollywood actress named “Sarika”. She loved him so much. After that, his best friend Sunil Bhatia introduced him to Romi at a party. Kapil falls in love with her at first sight.
After some time he proposed her future wife in a different style on a local train and she said yes to him. Kapil Dev got married to his wife “Romi Bhatia” in the year 1980. He is the father of one daughter named “Amiya Dev” who was born on 16 January 1996. He is quite active on social media and gives more focus on his business.
Some Hidden Facts about Kapil Dev
|Real Full Birth Name||Kapil Dev Ram Lal Nikhanj.|
|Nickname||Kapil Paaji and The Haryana Hurricane.|
|Profession||Cricketer and Businessman.|
|Famous for||World cup 1983.|
|Age (As of 2020)||61 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||6 January 1959.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Zodiac Birth Sign||Capricorn.|
|House Location||A Sprawling House at Sundar Nagar, Delhi, India.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6'.
Centimeters: 183 cm.
Meters: 1.83 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 80 Kg.
Pounds: 176 lbs.
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||10.|
|Hair Color||Salt & Pepper.|
|Parents||Father: Ram Lal Nikhanj.
Mother: Raj Kumari Lajwanti.
|Siblings||Brothers: Ramesh (Younger) and Bhushan (elder).
Sisters: Pinky Gill and 3 others (name not known).
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Kids||Daughter: Amiya Dev.|
|Social media||Instagram: @therealkapildev (379k + followers).
Twitter: @therealkapildev (48.5k + followers).
|Highest Qualification||High School Graduate.|
|School||DAV Senior Secondary School, Sector 8-C, Chandigarh, India.|
|Net worth (approx.)||INR 211.11 crore (as in 2020).|
Cricket Career, World Cup 1983 & Net worth
Kapil stepped into the sports career in the year 1975 with domestic cricket. Firstly he plays for the Haryana team. His first domestic cricket match was against Punjab. In this match, he took 6 wickets and restricting the opponent team to score only 63 runs.
He plays almost 30 matches in this season and took a total of 121 wickets. After that in the next season, he played against Jammu & Kashmir. Then he played the other seasons of domestic cricket from Haryana till 1980.
He debuts in the international Cricket career in the year 1978. Kapil Dev played his first international level match against Pakistan on 16 October 1978 at Faisalabad. He washed away Pakistani Batsmen with his best bowling.
Dev scored a half-century in just 33 balls in his Test match series. He played his first One Day Innings (ODI) against Pakistan in 1978.
In the year 1979, he made another record of 126 runs in 124 balls. All cricket fans love his fast bowling skills. Because of his fast bowling, he took 28 wickets of Australia. After that, he played so many Tests and ODI against different teams. But his 1983 World Cup match took a different place in the India team.
Because of his best skill in the field, he became the captain of the Indian cricket team in the year 1982. In 1983 India qualified for the semi-finals and after beating England the team went into finals.
In the Finals, it had to face the strongest cricket team of that time which was West Indies. The match started and the top order lost wickets very soon. Kapil Dev himself only scored 15 runs.
He even bowled in the match and took one wicket. The main bowlers of the team were Mohinder Amarnath and Madan Lal. They both bowled very well and restricted the Indies to only 140. It was the first time ever when an Indian captain held a World cup trophy.
After this, he played a lot of matches for the India team and made his own place in the team. In the year 1994, he decided to take retirement from Sports. On 23 March 1994, he took retirement from test match and On 17 October 1994 from ODI.
He took the salary of Rs 5 Lakh per match + Bonus as Indian cricket team coach. Kapil Dev’s Net worth is around INR 211.11 crore (as in 2020).
Some Hidden Facts About Kapil Dev
- He was honored by so many awards like Arjun Awards, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, ICC Cricket Hall of Fame, etc.
- In the year 1994, the president of BCCI, I.S Bindra blamed Dev that he gives money to the player Manoj Prabhakar for underperforming.
- In 2016, the Income Tax Department searched Kapil’s house when he bought the shares of a company at a discounted rate.
- He often used to drink alcohol at parties.
- In the 1980-81 Australia tour, Kapil got injured during the match and took rest.
- He invited his wife Romi to watch his first Test match in 1979.
- In the Test match series, Kapil made a lot of records which includes Highest Wicket Taker, Highest Number of Innings, Youngest Cricketer who take more than 300 wickets, etc.
- Dev also played football with Shah Rukh Khan in 1980.
- Kapil has also appeared in the commercial advertisement of Palmolive Shaving Cream.
- He is also a member of the Laureus Foundation.
- He likes to play golf in her spare time.
- Kapil Dev has also honored from Indian Territorial Army as Lieutenant Colonel in the year 2008.
- His wax statue is situated in the Madame Tussauds Museum, in Delhi, which was made in May 2017.
- Dev appeared as a guest in various Bollywood movies like Iqbal, Mujhse Shadi Karogi, Chain Khuli Ki Main Khuli, etc.
- Apart from a cricketer, he is a good author also and wrote autobiographies which include By God’s Decree in 1985, Cricket My Style in 1987, and Straight from the Heart in 2004.
- Kapil and PM of Pakistan Imran Khan were good friends in the Past. Even when Imran became the PM, he invited Kapil in the ceremony but Dev didn’t go to the ceremony.
- He is very excited about his upcoming biopic film 83.
- Kapil started taking interest in cricket after the age of 13.
- He became caption of the Indian Cricket team after Sunil Gavaskar.