Maurice Tillet aka “The French Angel” (born October 23, 1903) was a French professional wrestler from Ural Mountains, Russia. At that particular time, he was well known by his ring name, The French Angel. This game helped him in gaining fame in a small interval of time.
In Boston Tillet was the two times the World Heavyweight Champion by the American Wrestling Association. He is believed to be the inspiration for Shrek, a popular cartoon character. Moreover, as an actor made his appearance in “Princesse Tam Tam” in 1935.
Early Life, Parents, Siblings & Profile
Maurice Marie Joseph Tillet took birth in 1903 of French parents. At that time, he celebrates his birthday on October 23. According to reports, his father was an engineer who involved in the construction of the Trans-Siberian railroad. Further, at the age of eight, this wrestler lost them.
Afterward, his mother who was a teacher moved with him to Moscow, Russia. No information about siblings is available yet. In addition, in 1917 they again changed the location and moved to Rheims, France. During childhood, his face made resemblance with an angel that’s why his nickname was that.
Tillet attended classes at St. Philip Neri Catholic School where his mom was a teacher. Moreover, after that received his secondary education at St. Stanislaus, Paris. After that did the post-secondary from that of the Toulouse University of Law.
Personal Affairs, Girlfriend & Spouse
There is no information available to us regarding the personal affairs and past relationship of the French Angel wrestler. Some persons have a misunderstanding that Olga Morasse was his wife. It is completely wrong because it was the future better half of Maurice’s best friend Karl.
According to research, Maurice Tillet married at the age of 19 with his Russian sweetheart. Past records say that during their honeymoon Tigers in Africa killed his Spouse. This is a kind of rumor as at that time none of the big cats was present there. No one actually knows what had been happened to her.
Career & Net worth
Maurice wanted to make law as his profession but acromegaly came into hid way. Basically, it is a disease that causes bones to thickens to abnormal proportions. After finishing education, Maurice Tillet joined the French Navy and worked there as an engineer for 5 years.
During WWII, his ship was made to be sunk to avoid capture from Nazi’s and he wept out. In 1936, an amateur wrestler, Karl Pojello discovered him. Further, he started working as a door attendant and actor for a local studio there. Karl forced him to enter in this filed and in 1939 Tillet wrestle was seen by many in England.
Moreover, his signature move was a bear hug and nicknamed, “The Angel” including another name that is “Ugliest Man in the World”. From his career, this man earned a pretty good Net worth of $550k US Dollars which was a good amount at that time.
We lost one of the legend athletes on September 4, 1954, in Chicago. The main cause of Maurice Tillet’s death was cardiovascular disease.
At the only age of 51, the French Angel was buried at the Lithuanian National Cemetery at Justice Illinois, Cook country. Before 13 hours of his demise, one of his friends Pojello was also dead.
|Full Birth Name||Maurice Marie Joseph Tillet.|
|Nick name||The Angel.|
|Famous For||As a wrestler.|
|Age (As of 1953)||50 years old|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||23 October 1903.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Ural Mountains, Russia.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Social Media Stats||Instagram: None.
Facebook: Not Known.
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Scorpio.|
|Awards||World Heavyweight Champion.|
|Date of Death||4 September 1954.
|Death Cause||A cardiovascular disease.|
|Place of Death||Chicago, Illinois.
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5' 9".
Centimeters: 175 cm.
Meters: 1.75 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 122 Kg.
Pounds: 267 lbs.
|Biceps Size||Will Update.|
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-hips)||Not Known.|
|Shoe Size (US)||9.|
|Tattoos details?||Will Update.|
|Parents||Father: An engineer (Name not Known).
Mother: A Teacher (Name not Available).
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||Not Known.|
|Highest Qualification||Post secondary education in Law.|
|School||Philip Neri Catholic School.|
|Alma Mater||St. Stanislaus, Paris and Toulouse University of Law.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celeb||Wrestler: Karl Pojello.|
|Dream Holiday Destination||Paris.|
|Love to do||Swimming and Acting.|
|Favorite Dishes||Seafood and Homemade food.|
|Net worth (Approx.)||$550k US Dollars.|
|Salary, Earnings & Monthly Income||Not Known.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Maurice Tillet
- Inside the York Barbell Building, Pennsylvania, one subsequent death mask of him is there at Weightlifting hall of fame. Moreover, one of the plastic busts is in Chicago’s International Museum of Surgical Science.
- He was highly intelligent and had a mastery over 14 languages, as his mother was a teacher. Moreover, during his twenties, Tillet developed acromegaly.
- Paul Bowser in 1940 pushed him as a main eventer and then he became a well-known personality in Massachusetts. Further, made his debut against Luigi Bacigalupi.
- Furthermore, Maurice was booked as unstoppable and a win for a span of 19 consecutive months. From May 1940 to 1942 remains the AWA World Heavyweight Champion.
- Moreover, in 1944 reappeared for the Boston title for a short interval of time.
- In the year 1947, he granted the citizenship of America and took an oath there.
- In 1994, in the World Championship, “The French Angel” defeated Steve Crusher Casey for American Wrestling Association.
- The French Angel wrestler holds a height of 5 feet 9 inches tall (1.75 m) with a weight of 122 kg (267 lbs).
- In addition, to his growing success, several other Angel imitators emerged with him.
- Maurice Tillet, Karl, and Olga started living together at a mansion in the year 1954.