Pete Frates (born December 28, 1984 – died December 09, 2019) was an American Former Baseball Player and Internet Personality from Beverly, Massachusetts. He remained the captain of the Boston College baseball team.
During his college days, Frates performed summer ball in Hawaii, Maryland, and Connecticut. Later, the player selected to play the sport professionally in Europe. Furthermore, Pete then moved to Hamburg, Germany to play the game in the German Baseball League.
He also coached the young German players while playing for the team. Moreover, Frates became an internet sensation after he inspired the ice bucket challenge. He battled with motor neuron disease for many years.
In it, the participants took a bucket full of ice water and dumped it over their heads. In 2014, the challenge started when Chris Kennedy (professional golfer) challenged Jeanette Senerchia (his wife’s cousin).
Her husband has motor neuron disease aka Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). However, the challenge went viral on social media when Frates and his family got involved.
Then, thousands of people competed in the fun sport including Bill Gates, David Beckham, Anna Wintour, and Donald Trump. The various videos rose about $220 million USD worldwide.
Death Cause & Disease “Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis”
On December 09, 2019, Pete Frates passed away at the young age of 34. He was about to turn 35 years old this month on 28th. His parents first confirmed the news of the demise of their beloved son.
The family released a statement where they told that Pete died on Monday. Earlier, in March 2012, Frates was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis when he was just 27-years-old.
The disease came when the player was playing for the Lexington Blue Sox in 2011. Later, Pete got hit on the wrist by a pitch and noticed the injury.
He even noticed that the injury was not able to heal properly. After months of testing, Frates came to know that he diagnosed with ALS in 2012.
— Pete Frates (@PeteFrates3) June 2, 2019
|Real Full Birth Name||Pete Frates.|
|Profession||Former Baseball Player and Internet Personality.|
|Famous for||inspire the ice bucket challenge and raised $220 million USD for research into ALS.|
|Age (How old, as of 2018)||34 years.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||December 28, 1984.|
|Date of Death||December 09, 2019.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Beverly, Massachusetts, United States.|
|House In||Massachusetts, United States.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Ethnicity||White Caucasian Descent.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Capricorn.|
|Social Media Account Stats||Instagram: --
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6' 4".
Centimeters: 194 cm.
Meters: 1.94 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 91 Kg.
Pounds: 200 lbs.
|Shoe Size (UK)||11.|
|Body Measurements (Chest-waist-hips)||46-34-38.|
|Parents||Father: John Frates.
Mother: Nancy Frates.
|Siblings||Sister: Jennifer Mayo.
Brother: Andrew Frates.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||Not disclosed by him.|
|Wife||Julie Frates (m. 2013 - until his death on December 09, 2019).|
|Children||Daughter: Lucy Frates.|
|School||St. John's Preparatory School.|
|Alma Mater.||Boston College.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Mark Wahlberg.
Actress: Scarlett Johansson.
|Dream Holiday Destination||Australia.|
|Love to do||Reading, Theatre Play & Artwork.|
|Favorite Food||Italian Cuisine.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$2 million US dollars (As of 2019).|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Pete Frates
- Internet Sensation Pete Frates was born to his parents on the 28th of December 1984 (age 34-years-old, as of 2018). His birthplace is Beverly, Massachusetts, United States, and zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- He was very close to his father “John Frates” and mother “Nancy Frates”.
- Furthermore, the internet personality had a brother “Andrew Frates” and a sister “Jennifer Mayo”.
- The late player completed his secondary education from St. John’s Preparatory School in 2003.
- During his school days, Pete was a four-year member of the hockey, football, and baseball teams.
- He even remained the school leader and honor roll student.
- Later, Frates graduated from Boston College in 2007.
- As per the source, he received a bachelors’ degree and majored in communications & history.
- In his senior year, the former player performed for the BC Baseball team and became their captain.
- As of relationship, Pete was a happily married man. On June 01, 2013, he tied the knot with his wife “Julie Frates” in a private ceremony.
- Their wedding ceremony took place at an oceanfront event in Marblehead, Massachusetts.
- He survived by his spouse and their daughter Lucy Frates (born August 31, 2014).
- How tall: the baseball player, Pete Frates stood a tall height of 6 ft 4 in with a muscular build. He weighs around 200 pounds.