Sojourner Truth (born March 2, 1797) is an American Woman Right Activist, Advocate, Public Speaker and Abolitionist from Rifton, Ulster County, New York. She is known to be the first black woman who has sued a white man in the US Court against black slavery.
Profile, Parents & Early Life
- Isabella Baumfree was born on the 2nd of March 1797 in Rifton, Ulster County, New York. Therefore, Sojourner Truth’s age is 86 years old (at the time of her death).
- She is 1 out of 12 children of her parents. At the time of her birth, her father James Baumfree and mother Elizabeth Baumfree is enslaved by Colonel Hardenbergh.
- In her childhood, she is known by her “Belle” nickname.
- She belongs to Afro-American Ethnicity race group.
- Her family used to live in a residence of Colonel Hardenbergh at Hilly Area near Rifton, Esopus, New York. The picture of their house is given below.
- Later, Son of Colonel i.e. Charles Hardenbergh has got her dad’s estate to enslave Baumfree family. After the death of Charles, she has been auctioned openly in the slave market.
- At the age of 9 years old, she has sold to John Neely for $100 US Dollars in 1806. John is a cruel person, who use to beat Belle daily along with rod.
- As pe her education, she is under-graduate due to her slavery childhood.
Trivia & Quick Information
|Real Full Birth Name||Isabella Baumfree.|
|Nick name||Sojourner Truth & Belle.|
|Profession||Woman Right Activist, Advocate & Abolitionist.|
|Famous for||1. Being the First black woman to file & won a case against a white man in the history of the United States.
2. Her work to end Black Slavery ritual and capital punishment.
|Age (at the time of her Death)||86 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||March 2, 1797.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Rifton, Ulster County, New York, United States.|
|Died on||26 November 1883.|
|Place of Death||Battle Creek, Michigan, USA.|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Pisces.|
|Current Residence||Michigan, United States.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6' 0".
Centimeters: 183 cm.
Meters: 1.83 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 65 Kg.
Pounds: 143 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Breast-waist-hips)||34-28-35.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||9.|
|Parents||Father: James Baumfree.
Mother: Elizabeth Baumfree.
|Siblings||Brother: 5 (name not found).
Sister: 6 (total 11 siblings).
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||Love Affair with her boyfriend Robert.|
|Boyfriend||Robert (Slaved by Charles Catton, Jr).|
|Son||James & Peter (born in 1821).|
|Daughter||Diana (born 1815), Elizabeth (born 1825) & Sophia (born 1826).|
|Alma Mater.||Will Update.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Food||Egg, Rice & Fish.|
|Favorite Celebrities||Politician: Abraham Lincoln.|
|Love to do||Reading.|
|Dream Holiday Destination||NA.|
|Net worth (approx.)||Not Known.|
|Annual Salary, Income & Earnings||Will update.|
|Home Details||Residence in Michigan, USA.|
|Office Address||Will update.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Sojourner Truth
- In 1808, she has sold to Martinus Schryver pricing at $105 USD. Martinus is a tavern keeper from Port Ewen.
- Figure Details: She is a tall lady along with a good physique. Sojourner Truth’s height is 6 feet 0 inch (183 in cms) and her body weight is around 65 Kilograms (143 in pounds).
- Sojourner’s 4th owner John Dumont has bought her in 1810. He lives in West Park in New York. Furthermore, his wife Elizabeth Waring Dumont is a cruel woman, who torture Truth in many ways.
- Boyfriend & Love Affairs: Sojourner has started liking a black Slave named Robert (Boyfriend) in 1815. He uses to work for Charles Catton, Jr. (professional Painter) in her neighboring farm. But unfortunately, Robert has beaten by Charles and his son when he tried to meet Truth. After that day, she has never seen him and found the news of his death after 2 years.
- Marriage Information: Sojourner Truth has tied the knot with her husband Thomas (Another Slave man of John Dumont). In her entire life, she has 5 children. Her first son James has died in his childhood due to undisclosed disease.
- In addition, her 1st daughter Diana was born in 1815 (child due to her rape by either John Dumont or Robert). Peter, Sophia, and Elizabeth are remaining 3 children from her spouse Thomas.
- Later, Dumont has promised to offer her freedom on 4 July 1826. But, he did not keep his promise. Therefore, Truth has run away from his house along with her infant daughter Sophia in late 1826. She has left other kids because she is not legally own them.
Read Also: The Story of Jeannie Mai Life | Wikipedia Trivia Details
- At New Paltz, New York, she has bought by Maria Van Wagenen and Isaac. Later, John has come back to get back them. But, Maria Van has offer Sojourner’s services to him for $20 US Dollars. She has served him until the New York Anti-Slavery Law has taken effect in 1827.
- John Dumont has illegally sold his 5-year-old Son Peter to a trader. But, with the help of Maria Van Wagenen, she has filed a case against Dumont. Later, she has won the case in the New York Court and get her son Peter back.
- In her older days, she has worked for the welfare of girls, woman and all the people in the United States. She has also influenced by Abraham Lincoln.