Korey Wise (born in 1974) is an American Criminal Justice Activist and Instagram Personality from New York City, New York. He is famous for being falsely convicted in the case despite a lack of physical evidence.
Furthermore, Korey was wrongly sentenced for central park jogger case at the age of 16. In fact, he served both the highest and rigid sentence. Moreover, Wise served more than 13 years in violent adult jails.
Recently, his life story featured in Netflix’s miniseries called “When They See Us“. In addition, the true story also depicts the life of all five Afro-American teenagers who got punishment of a rape they never commit.
The show is created, written and directed by Ava DuVernay. The project released on May 31, 2019, and it also got a very good response from the viewers.
Korey Wise’s character was portrayed by Jharrel Jerome (American actor). The other main casts of the series are:
- Jovan Adepo as Antron McCray.
- Reginald L. Barnes as NYPD Officer Harmon.
- Asante Blackk as Young Kevin Richardson.
- Marsha Stephanie Blake as Linda McCray.
- Kylie Bunbury as Angie Richardson.
- Chris Chalk as Yusef Salaam.
- Bryan Terrell Clark as Ortega.
- Justin Cunningham as Kevin Richardson.
- Omar J. Dorsey as Elombre Brath.
- Aunjanue Ellis as Sharon Salaam.
- Vera Farmiga as Elizabeth Lederer etc.
The Complete Story of Central Park Jogger Case
The incident took place on the night of April 19, 1989, in the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park. It involved rape and assault of Trisha Meili (a white female jogger). She was a 28-year-old investment banker at the time and the attack left her in a coma for 12 days.
Furthermore, in 1990, the police brought Raymond Santana, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, and Korey as suspects of the crime. The juveniles were taken for various interview sessions for hours.
Santana, McCray, and Kevin gave their statements in the presence of their respective parents or guardians. According to a source, Wise made a number of statements on his own. Except him, all other four confessed to a number of the attacks committed in the park that night.
Later, the defendants were accused of rape, sexual abuse, assault, robbery, riot,and attempted murder. They also charged for other attacks in the park, based solely on confessions that they told were forced and false.
In December 1990, Wise was acquitted of those charges. But he convicted of sexual abuse, assault, and riot and sentenced to 5–15 years. The four younger boys, Antron, Richardson, Salaam, and Santana served their time in juvenile facilities before being transferred to adult jails at age 21.
However, in 2002, Matias Reyes (convicted murderer and serial rapist) who was serving a life sentence in prison confessed to raping Trisha Meili. His DNA also matched with the rape kit of the jogger.
Finally, all the wrongly convicted teenagers released then. Later, they sued New York City in 2003 for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress. Moreover, the city concluded the case for $41 million USD in 2014 in damages from New York State in the New York Court of Claims.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Full Birth Name||Korey Wise.|
|Profession||Criminal Justice Activist and Instagram Personality.|
|Age (As of 2019)||45 years old|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||1974.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||New York City, New York, United States.|
|Famous For||1. Wrongly convicted in the Central Park Jogger Case.
2. Recently his story featured Netflix's When They See Us.
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||not available.|
|House In||New York City, New York, United States.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5' 7".
Centimeters: 170 cm.
Meters: 1.70 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 72 Kg.
Pounds: 158 lbs.
|Biceps Size||14 inches.|
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-hips)||40-30-35.|
|Shoe Size (US)||8.|
|Tattoos details?||Will Update.|
|Parents||Father: Name not found.
Mother: Deloris Wise.
Transgender-Sisters: 1. Marci Wise (dead).
2. Vanity Wise.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Girlfriend & Fiancee||Will update.|
|Highest Qualification||High School Dropout.|
|Alma Mater||Will Update.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Tom Cruise.
Actress: Jennifer Lawrence.
|Dream Holiday Destination||France.|
|Love to do||Reading.|
|Favorite Dishes||Pan Cake, Fries, Chicken & Cheese Burger.|
|Net worth (Approx.)||$10-15 Million US Dollars (As of 2019).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings per month||Will update.|
|Office Address||Will Update.|
|Home Details||Not Known|
|Mobile or Phone Number||Will Update.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Korey Wise
- Wikipedia: The Criminal Justice Activist was born in 1974 in New York City, New York, United States. Therefore, Korey Wise’s age is 45 years old, as of 2019.
- Wise’s father suffered from cancer and passed away in 1996. Hence, his mother “Deloris Wise” later became a single parent and fulfilled her kids’ needs.
- Korey also has two siblings i.e. transgender sisters named Vanity Wise and Marci Wise (born as “Norman Wise“).
- However, Marci was later killed due to her sexuality.
- The FBI tested the DNA of the five teenagers with the rape kit and found it did not match any of them before the trial.
- Furthermore, after the verdict, Wise yelled at the prosecutor and said that he is going to pay for this. He also told that Jesus is going to get him because the prosecutor wrongly convicted him.
- As the only 16-year-old, Korey could be questioned without a guardian present. He was the only teen to whom prosecutors had unrestricted access.
- Wise told the older sister of his friend that he had only caught the jogger down. This statement came when he was in the Rikers Island jail.
Explore More: The Story of Gabrielle Crahan, Lifestyle, Biography & Affairs
- According to Salaam, he heard the police beating up Korey in the next room which terrified him a lot.
- Moreover, the book “The Central Park Five” penned by Sarah Burns published in 2011 was based on all the lives of the five teenagers.
- The 45-year-old activist was not a suspect initially but he was led into the police station along with his friend Salaam.
- In 2016, Korey Wise donated $190,000 USD to Colorado’s Innocence Project as a criminal justice activist.
- As an Instagram personality, he has a decent fan-following on the platform with the 62.2+ k followers.