Maria Belen Chapur (born in 1966) is an Argentine Journalist, Translator, Correspondent, and Politician Partner from Palermo, Buenos Aires. In 2009, she became extremely infamous for being the mistress of Mark Sanford (American politician and author).
He remained the Governor of South Carolina from 2003 to 2011 and also served as a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives. From 1995 to 2001, Sanford worked as the U.S. Representative for South Carolina’s 1st congressional district.
Recently, in September 2019, Mark stated a GOP primary bid against US President Donald Trump in the 2020 United States presidential election. Earlier, Joe Walsh (Former Illinois Rep.) and Bill Weld (former Massachusetts Governor) also announced about running against Trump.
Mark ran for Congress in 2012 and influenced the election. Later, the politician served in Congress from 2013 to 2019. Earlier, he lost his 2018 re-election bid in a Republican primary.
Personal Life, Extramarital Affairs & Spouse
In June 2009, the famous politician gained huge negative media attention after his affair with his girlfriend “Maria Belen Chapur” came out publicly. The incident took place when Mark went missing from June 18, 2009, until June 24, 2009.
Later, the former Governor revealed that he was in Buenos Aires, Argentina, with a woman. He also said he was having an extramarital affair with her but never mentioned her name in the media.
The 53-years-old Maria Belen Chapur first met her boyfriend back in 2001 and became good friends. Then, they started having a romantic relationship in 2008. At that time, Sanford was married to his wife “Jenny Sullivan” (former investment banker).
The ex-couple also had four sons Bolton, Blake, Landon, and Marshall Sanford together. In January 2009, Sullivan came to know about her spouse‘s love life with Maria. Mark Sanford’s wife filed for divorce and separated the same year.
Chapur confirmed the love link in a statement made to C5N but denied to address the controversy in detail. She and her beau also engaged each other in a private ceremony.
In 2014, Marshall Clement Sanford Jr. declared that he called off his engagement via Facebook lengthy post. This news came as a shock to the Argentine journalist. However, in 2017, the pair reconciled their differences and lunched their love life once again.
|Real Full Birth Name||Maria Belen Chapur.|
|Profession||Journalist, Translator, and Correspondent.|
|Famous for||Being the girlfriend of Mark Sanford (American politician and author).|
|Age (As of 2019)||53 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||1966.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Palermo, Buenos Aires, Argentina.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Ethnicity||White Caucasian Descent.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||not available.|
|Current Residence||New York, USA.|
|Social Media Account Stats||Instagram: NA.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Marital Status||Divorced (engaged once).|
|Dating History?||Love Affair with her boyfriend.|
|Boyfriend||Marshall Clement Sanford Jr.|
|Husband/Spouse Name||One husband (name not available).|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5' 6".
Centimeters: 168 cm.
Meters: 1.68 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 55 Kg.
Pounds: 121 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Breast-waist-hips)||35-27-36.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||6.|
|Parents||Father: Name not Known.
|Siblings||Brother: Not Known.
|Highest Qualification||Graduate with a Bachelors degree in political science.|
|School||Local High School.|
|Alma Mater.||The Pontifical Catholic University of Argentina.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Christina Aguilera (American singer) & Leonardo DiCaprio (Actor).|
|Dream Holiday Destination||Greece.|
|Love to do||Music and Travel.|
|Favorite Food||Mexican Cuisine.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$500K US dollars (As of 2019).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings||--|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Maria Belen Chapur
- Mark Sanford’s girlfriend was born in 1966 in Palermo, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Hence, Maria Belen Chapur’s age is 53 years old, as of 2019.
- She tries to keep her personal life away from any media attention and never shared anything from her father, mother, & siblings.
- The Correspondent completed her school education from a local high school.
- Later, Maria graduated from The Pontifical Catholic University of Argentina. She earned a Bachelors degree in political science.
- On June 25, 2009, a local Buenos Aires newspaper declared that María Belen was the woman who had an affair with Mark.
- In fact, an American newspaper also published details of e-mails shared between Sanford and Belen Chapur.
- According to the journalist, her computer came under control by some hacker and shared the personal emails with the publication house.
- She also earlier tied the knot with her ex-husband (name not available) and even has two kids together.
- The main reason for her initial split with Mrk was because of their regular bout whether they would marry or not.
- Maria is multilingual and can speak languages like Portuguese, English, Spanish, and Chinese.
- As of her profession, Chapur started working as a translator and correspondent in 2001 for Canal América 2.
- She also served for an Argentine television station, and later became a television news reporter.
- Belen used to work for the station’s New York City bureau and even covered the aftermath of the September 11 attacks.