Elizabeth Lederer (born in 1954) is an American Assistant Prosecutor, Adjunct Law Professor, and Former Assistant District Attorney from New York City. She is famous for being the prosecutor in the central park jogger case in 1989.
The incident took place on April 19, 1989, when Trisha Meili (former investment banker and motivational speaker) was brutally attacked and raped. In fact, the horrible attack held in the famous North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park.
Furthermore, the 65-year-old Elizabeth was the lead attorney on the prosecution team. She wrongly convicted the five teenagers named Antron McCray, Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, and Korey Wise
Lederer operated as a central role in the Central Park Jogger trial. Moreover, she was also one of the major persons in the interrogations of the Central Park Five. The attorney never commented in the public about the case after the real culprit admitted his crime.
Currently, Elizabeth is working with the Manhattan District Attorney’s office as a senior trial counsel. In addition, she works as an adjunct law professor at Columbia School of Law.
The Central Park Jogger & Five Innocent Accuser
Trisha Meili who was a 28-year-old investment banker at the time was attacked and abused by Matias Reyes (Convicted Murderer and Serial Rapist). It was one of the most widely publicized crimes of the 1980s.
In fact, the attack took place shortly before 9 p.m. which left Meili in a coma for 12 days. She was beaten, dragged or chased nearly 300 feet, and violently assaulted. Furthermore, Trisha was later found nude, badly wounded, and she was covered in mud & blood.
Her skull was seriously cracked and 75 percent of her blood drained from her body. On the night of the offense, 4 teenage Afro-Americans and one teenage Hispanic were arrested in connection with a number of attacks in Central Park performed.
However, the FBI tested the DNA of the five teenagers with the rape kit and found it did not match any of them before the trial. Later, the defendants charged with rape, sexual abuse, assault, robbery, riot, and attempted murder.
Moreover, they also accused of other attacks in the park, based solely on confessions. But they told in a documentary that those confessions were false and coerced. In 2002, Matias Reyes confessed of raping Trisha Meili and his DNA also matched with the rape kit of the jogger.
Finally, all the falsely convicted teenagers released then. Later, they sued New York City in 2003 for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress.
Netflix “When They See Us” Show
Recently, central park five teenagers’ life story featured in Netflix’s miniseries called “When They See Us“. Ava DuVernay is the writer and director of this Biographical series.
Netflix released the hit show on May 31, 2019, and it is receiving a lot of success from the audience. The film is based on McCray, Raymond, Richardson, Salaam, and Wise who were falsely convicted in the Central Park Case.
The character of Elizabeth Lederer portrays by Vera Farmiga (American actress, director, and producer). Some of the main casts are:
- Jharrel Jerome as Korey Wise.
- Reginald L. Barnes as NYPD Officer Harmon.
- Asante Blackk as Young Kevin Richardson.
- Freddy Miyares as Older Raymond Santana.
- Marsha Stephanie Blake as Linda McCray.
- Jovan Adepo as Antron McCray.
- John Leguizamo as Raymond Santana Jr.
- Reece Noi as Matias Reyes.
- Marquis Rodriguez as Young Raymond Santana.
- Chris Chalk as Yusef Salaam.
- Bryan Terrell Clark as Ortega.
- Justin Cunningham as Kevin Richardson.
- Omar J. Dorsey as Elombre Brath.
- Aunjanue Ellis as Sharon Salaam etc.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Real Full Birth Name||Elizabeth Lederer.|
|Profession||Assistant Prosecutor, Adjunct Law Professor, and Former Assistant District Attorney.|
|Famous for||Being the prosecutor in the Central Park jogger case.|
|Age (As of 2019)||65 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||1954.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||New York City, New York, USA.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||not available.|
|House In||New York City, New York, USA.|
|Social Media Account Stats||Instagram: NA.
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5' 6".
Centimeters: 168 cm.
Meters: 1.68 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 65 Kg.
Pounds: 149 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Breast-waist-hips)||36-32-36.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||7.|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown.|
|Parents||Father: Name not Known.
|Siblings||Brother: Not Known.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Dating History?||Love Affair with her boyfriend.|
|Husband/Spouse Name||Name not available.|
|Son||name not found.|
|Daughter||name not found.|
|Highest Qualification||Juris Doctor.|
|School||High School in New York City.|
|Alma Mater.||Will update.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Tom Hanks.
Actress: Meryl Streep.
|Dream Holiday Destination||Paris.|
|Love to do||Reading.|
|Favorite Food||Italian Cuisine.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$500K US dollars (As of 2018).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings||--|
|Mobile or Phone Number||--|
|Home Details||Will Update.|
|Email Address||Not found.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Elizabeth Lederer
- Wikipedia: Attorney Elizabeth Lederer was born in 1954 in New York City, USA. Hence, her age is 65 years old, as of 2019.
- Her father and mother were Jewish and she also follows Judaism religion.
- New York City was having the most difficult time back in the 1980s as the racism and criminal activities were at the peak.
- Therefore, the authorities were eager to solve the crime and cut down on violence.
- This led to a tragic miscarriage of justice when five boys caught by the police.
- Furthermore, Elizabeth was the assistant district attorney who was liable for presenting the cases against the five black and Latino teenagers.
- In fact, she also visited the hospital where Meili’s treatment took place.
- During an interview, Lederer told that her face was swollen and the head was in a bandage turban.
Explore More: Who is Granger Smith? Her Biography, Lifestyle, Story & Affairs
- Moreover, the case initially gained media attention in 2012 when the documentary named “The Central Park Five” released.
- In 2013, Frank Chi saw the documentary and became enraged when he found out Lederer was still practicing.
- He began a petition to get her fired from Columbia Law School which also collected over 5,000 signatures.
- But she is still working in the university and practicing law.
- According to a source, Lederer has worked at the New York County District Attorney’s office since 1979.